Re: [ontology-summit] Media Kit?

To: Ontology Summit 2011 discussion <ontology-summit@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: IAOA Executive Council <iaoa-council@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: Ali Hashemi <ali@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 17 Apr 2011 13:20:59 -0400
Dear Peter, Nicola, Rex, John and all,

To Nicola and Peter, I would be willing to play a role in taking this initiative forward, though my experience in this regard has been limited to assisting the development of media strategies (what messages to get across and developing the content material), not so much in their execution (contacting the press).

I believe it is possible to have an active media strategy on a shoestring (or non-existent) budget. Obviously, it is not ideal, but it can help tremendously in preparing the right background that we want. From my observations, the standards for what is publishable are ... very accepting. Really, a good 20%(?) of their articles are little more than re-wordings of press releases by university press offices.

As mentioned before, the least we can do is provide the requisite background material in a straightforward and easily accessible manner, so that an interested party can write a story or two. Writing an actual press release, would likely get it echoed in many of the above sites.

I notice that few of our sound bites or elevator pitches are explicitly aimed at journalists or lay audiences. A lot of the writing on this forum is written in "academese" which automatically reduces the potential readership. The first four minutes of this talk (while mainly focused on governance and community) touches on little things we can incorporate in both our material and how we publish it, to make follow up easier: http://www.ted.com/talks/dave_meslin_the_antidote_to_apathy.html

Nonetheless, I don't believe that waiting for finding professional help or volunteers should prevent us from getting started . We all know more or less the outline of the message we wish to communicate, and with further discussion can clarify, refine and adapt the content in the communique as key take-away messages for the media, around which we then develop tailored content.

There is the issue that this is a community effort, highlighting an entire field and not a particular company or technology implementation, which is why I suggested we focus on the role of ontolog (and perhaps the IAOA) as the key players. This of course introduces a collective action problem re finding resources, but the community has developed solutions to similar problems in the past.

I'm sure one of our contributors who is affiliated with a university can consult their press office and see how one gets one of these echo chamber websites to pay us some attention. Though again, afai can tell, eurekalert leads the other sites by a few hours or days, and its bar for publishing an article is hinted at here (they are quite ...welcoming): http://www.eurekalert.org/aboutus.php .

PS - John, to view a post on a facebook page or group, you do not need to login. This is the ontolog facebook group: https://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=184463208664 , I believe you can view all the content there without signing in (btw, the group owners should really get that url changed to www.facebook.com/ontolog it takes about 30 seconds to do so). Of course, there are also aggregators which centralize all of twitter, buzz, facebook etc. into one location, so when you publish a message, it is automatically broadcast to all the tied in sites. For example, http://www.tweetdeck.com/ allows simultaneous posts to multiple social networks - mind you, this technology space is fast evolving, and there are no clear winners or leaders yet.

PPS - I unfortunately won't be at the summit, but I would like to preemptively thank all those who make sure that the electronified version of the events are comprehensive. They are a very valuable resource - thank you kindly!

Best,
Ali