Re: [ontology-summit] An example of the worth of ontology development

To: Ontology Summit 2011 discussion <ontology-summit@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Amanda Vizedom <amanda.vizedom@xxxxxxxxx>
From: "Obrst, Leo J." <lobrst@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 3 Mar 2011 15:10:58 -0500
It is usually the case that you don't want to show the SMEs the details of the
ontology, since they will not know how to interpret what they see. We had this
issue in spades at VerticalNet, e.g., where the application actually exposed
the ontology as categories in the user interface, rather than present a better
GUI in terms of the audience. We dubbed this the representation vs.
presentation issue. Applications ALWAYS need to provide their own application
view to the user, not just expose the underlying technical model, especially
for ontologies, where the plumbing could be axioms and logical
assertions/rules.     (01)

Now if your SME is indeed also an ontologist, or your ontology tools enable a
SME to do the right thing without showing the hairy details (and no tool I've
found does that), then you can show the representation. Otherwise, always show
the presentation view.    (02)

You'll scare the hell out of SMEs because they will interpret your ontology
class/property "label" as a word that they and their comparable users don't
use. And what's all these backward Es and upside down As and arrows? In much
the same way, you don't allow end users to develop crucial enterprise databases
themselves, you don't allow them to develop ontologies unless they are also
ontologists. Term \= Concept. Application category \= ontological axiom.     (03)

However, you do need to show SMEs that the results of the application of the
ontology are good, accurate, and granular. E.g., for database integration
efforts, you need them to confirm that the competency questions are answered
well, accurately, and at the right level of granularity. Results, they can
judge well.  Plumbing, they can't.    (04)

Furthermore, no ontology develop by committees! The committee is the
stakeholder association, not the technical ontology development team, the
latter of which should be small and ontology savvy. The stakeholder committee
needs to know that their semantics are captured, and this is best done by
application results and a strong data/ontology dictionary/lexicon/glossary, in
addition to audience-tempered briefings.    (05)

Thanks,
Leo    (06)

Dr. Leo Obrst        The MITRE Corporation, Information Semantics
lobrst@xxxxxxxxx     Information Discovery & Understanding, Command & Control
Center
Voice: 703-983-6770  7515 Colshire Drive, M/S H305
Fax: 703-983-1379    McLean, VA 22102-7508, USA    (07)

      (08)