Re: [ontology-summit] An example of the worth of ontology development

To: ontology-summit@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
From: "John F. Sowa" <sowa@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 03 Mar 2011 15:58:12 -0500
On 3/3/2011 3:10 PM, Obrst, Leo J. wrote:
> Now if your SME is indeed also an ontologist, or your ontology tools
> enable a SME to do the right thing without showing the hairy details
> (and no tool I've found does that), then you can show the representation.    (01)

That is what we have been doing at VivoMind.  We use a base ontology
that we do not show to the SMEs (unless they really want to see it).    (02)

> You'll scare the hell out of SMEs because they will interpret your
> ontology class/property "label" as a word that they and their
> comparable users don't use. And what's all these backward Es
> and upside down As and arrows?    (03)

The ontology language we use is CLCE (Common Logic Controlled English).
It doesn't have any backward Es, and it doesn't use any metalevel
terms about classes or properties.  See slides 26 to 30 of    (04)

    http://www.jfsowa.com/talks/futures.pdf    (05)

For the example on slide 27, the system would ask a biochemist (SME)
to verify the following hypotheses (where '<' means "is a kind of"):    (06)

    intrinsic-enzymatic-activity < activity
    plasma-membrane < membrane
    intrinsic-enzymatic-receptor < receptor    (07)

It would also ask pertinent questions, such as which of several
possible options could "penetrate a plasma membrane", "affect
gene transcription", or be "directly affected by a ligand-receptor
complex".    (08)

At the beginning, the system doesn't know anything about what
these terms mean.  But as time goes on, it learns more and more
about the permissible combinations of terms.  As a result, it
gets better at extracting information from the documents and
using it to answer questions.    (09)

We're still developing the tools and trying them out on SMEs
with various backgrounds.  The tools are still in a state
of flux, but we're getting useful results.    (010)