Re: [ontology-summit] Data Quality - Was: Invitation to a brainstorming

To: ontology-summit@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
From: "John F. Sowa" <sowa@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 25 Jan 2011 11:21:29 -0500
Dear Matthew and Azamat,    (01)

I like Matthew's book/diagram and Azamat's added comments.    (02)

MW
> http://www.matthew-west.org.uk/documents/princ03.pdf    (03)

AA
> One could also add relativity, utility, worth, correctness, originality,
> credibility, certainty, truth, etc.    (04)

An observation I would add is that every one of those desirable
properties has an implicit triadic relation:    (05)

  1. Each adjective applies to something (in this case a data model).    (06)

  2. In relation to something else (such as an aspect of the world
     that is being modeled).    (07)

  3. With respect to somebody's purpose or point of view.    (08)

Note that even such objective-sounding words as 'truth' depend
critically on point of view.  If you're an engineer designing
a bridge, a model at the level of atoms and molecules isn't
relevant or "true" to the overall problem.    (09)

Yet any large project will inevitably have many aspects
that could require analysis and modeling at different levels
of detail.  The engineer, for example, might specify steel
with certain gross properties, such as tensile strength,
corrosion resistance, etc.  But the supplier and quality
inspector might need to examine the steel at a molecular level
in order to ensure that the gross specifications are satisfied.    (010)

I wanted to bring up these issues to emphasize the fundamental
nature of Peirce's notion of "Thirdness", which underlies every
ontology of quality, intention, purpose, relevance, utility,
value, benefit, assurance, completeness....    (011)

Those words might be represented by one-place predicates, but
those predicates have two implicit arguments that are critical
to the application.  The ontology must make the implicit arguments
explicit in the fundamental definitions.    (012)