Re: [ontology-summit] [Fwd: Re: Progressing a Units Ontology -virtual se

To: martin.hepp@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, Ontology Summit 2009 <ontology-summit@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: "Kevin D. Keck" <kdkeck@xxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 7 Jul 2009 23:50:53 -0400
Yuck.  Forgive me, but why are the units of measure in GoodRelations encoded as unqualified strings?  This violates rule #1 of Tim Berners-Lee's Linked Data note[1]:

1. Use URIs as names for things

If URIs were used, then it would be straight-forward to make statements in another ontology about the different units.  Because URIs are not used, it is instead difficult to do so in any way that off-the-shelf tools will recognize.  There is no reason why the CEFACT data types cannot be transcribed into OWL/RDF in a way that makes explicit the coding scheme(s) used for supplementary components, using URI prefixes (e.g. rec20:GRM and rec20:HUR, instead of "GRM"^^xsd:string and "HUR"^^xsd:string).

In the interest of converging on common RDF patterns for values with supplementary components, I would also suggest utilizing the rdf:value property built-in to RDF, in precisely the way illustrated in the RDF Primer[2].  OWL is fully capable of expressing specific type constraints on the rdf:value provided for each particular GoodRelations Value class, using allValuesFrom axioms, e.g.:

rdf:value a owl:DatatypeProperty ;
a owl:FunctionalProperty .
gr:QuantitativeValue
rdfs:subClassOf [a owl:Restriction ;
owl:onProperty rdf:value ;
owl:cardinality "1"^^xsd:int] .
gr:QuantitativeValueFloat
owl:intersectionOf (
gr:QuantitativeValue
[a owl:Restriction ;
owl:onProperty rdf:value ;
owl:allValuesFrom xsd:float ]
) ..
gr:QuantitativeValueInteger
owl:intersectionOf (
gr:QuantitativeValue
[a owl:Restriction ;
owl:onProperty rdf:value ;
owl:allValuesFrom xsd:int ]
) ..

The target RDF patterns would then be:

default:SonyCellPhoneModel_s1234
      a gr:ProductOrServiceModel ;
      default:hasTalkTime default:QuantitativeValueInteger_9 ;
      default:hasWeight default:QuantitativeValueFloat_10 ..

default:QuantitativeValueFloat_10
      a gr:QuantitativeValueFloat ;
      rdfs:comment "The value node representing a weight of 100 grams"^^xsd:string ;
      rdf:value "100.0"^^xsd:float ;
      gr:hasUnitOfMeasurement rec20:GRM ..

default:QuantitativeValueInteger_9
      a gr:QuantitativeValueInteger ;
      rdfs:comment "The node representing a time duration of 120 hours."^^xsd:string ;
      rdf:value "120"^^xsd:int ;
      gr:hasUnitOfMeasurement rec20:HUR.

Is it just me who thinks that looks a whole lot better, as a target?