Re: [ontology-summit] [Fwd: Re: Progressing a Units Ontology -virtual se

To: "Ontology Summit 2009" <ontology-summit@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: martin.hepp@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
From: "Peter F Brown (Pensive SA)" <peter@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 8 Jul 2009 14:07:32 +0200

I agree with John.

I may sound like a cracked record on this, but ISO does have a standard that includes within its spec a clean method for distinguishing between an identifier of a "thing" (whether freedom, love, Harry Poeetr and the Philosopher's Stone or the concept of an Imperial pint) and an identifier that says something about the thing, such as a document.

We know that a fundamental part of the WWW architecture is cracked - the inability to use URIs to distinguish between a name of something and an address describing that something - so why not use a standard that addresses (excuse the pun) the issue correctly, consistently, coherently *and* uses URIs properly?

I'm talking about the ISO 13250 "Topic Maps" standards and its distinction between subjects, topics, subject identifiers and subject indicators (or descriptors).

Regards,

Peter

WebSiteLogo.jpg

Peter F Brown

Managing Director

"Your GPS for Information"

Pensive S.A., Belgium

t:

+32.2.346.4866

m:

+32.472.027.811

e:

peter@xxxxxxxxxx

w:

www.pensive.eu

Pensive S.A. is registered in Belgium, N° 895.677.610 (RPM Brussels)

Registered Office: Avenue de Mercure 13/13, B-1180 Brussels

Correspondence/Visits: Meerminne 7, B-2640 Mortsel