Re: [ontology-summit] [Fwd: Re: Progressing a Units Ontology -virtual se

To: Ontology Summit 2009 <ontology-summit@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: "Martin Hepp (UniBW)" <martin.hepp@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 08 Jul 2009 14:53:36 +0200
Dear John:
You were faster and more concise in your reply than I;-)    (01)

All:
My basic opinion with any such URIs is that they can be useful if
maintained by the owner of the standard. Indeed, it would be good to
push standardization bodies into that direction.    (02)

On the other hand, having a non-dereferencable URI for a code is not
more or less unique than having a three-letter string, as long as there
is another mechanism for representing the context of that three-letter
string.    (03)

A datatype property holding that string does it in the same way as
importing the set of tokens into the URI name space.    (04)

  From the operational point of view, URIs for standards elements have
some advantages, and I am in general supporting those. But they must be
authoritative, current/maintained, and dereferencable.    (05)

Best
Martin    (06)

John F. Sowa wrote:
> Kevin,
>
> There may be some people who agree with you:
>
> KDK> Is it just me who thinks that looks a whole lot better,
>  > as a target?
>
> But the URIs as used in the Semantic Web have many serious
> problems for designating standards:
>
>   1. There is no way to tell when or why whatever information
>      contained in a document designated by a URI might change.
>
>   2. There is no way to specify what is specified by a URI:
>      The document itself?  Some information in the document?
>      What information in the document?  Why?  How?  By whom?
>
> Standards organizations such as ISO have considered and
> addressed these issues over long periods of time.  Their
> universal identifiers are reliable, even though (or perhaps
> because) they have been using old-fashioned paper documents
> to specify them.
>
> John

>       (07)

martin hepp
e-business & web science research group
universitaet der bundeswehr muenchen    (08)

e-mail:  mhepp@xxxxxxxxxxxx
phone:   +49-(0)89-6004-4217
fax:     +49-(0)89-6004-4620
          http://www.heppnetz.de/ (personal)
skype:   mfhepp
twitter: mfhepp    (09)

Check out the GoodRelations vocabulary for E-Commerce on the Web of Data!
========================================================================    (010)

Webcast:
http://www.heppnetz.de/projects/goodrelations/webcast/    (011)

Talk at the Semantic Technology Conference 2009:
"Semantic Web-based E-Commerce: The GoodRelations Ontology"
http://tinyurl.com/semtech-hepp    (012)

Tool for registering your business:
http://www.ebusiness-unibw.org/tools/goodrelations-annotator/    (013)

Overview article on Semantic Universe:
http://tinyurl.com/goodrelations-universe    (014)

Project page and resources for developers:
http://purl.org/goodrelations/    (015)

Tutorial materials:
Tutorial at ESWC 2009: The Web of Data for E-Commerce in One Day: A
Hands-on Introduction to the GoodRelations Ontology, RDFa, and Yahoo!
SearchMonkey    (016)

http://www.ebusiness-unibw.org/wiki/GoodRelations_Tutorial_ESWC2009    (017)