Re: [ontology-summit] [Quality] What means

To: Ontology Summit 2008 <ontology-summit@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: Holger Lewen <hle@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 21 Mar 2008 15:34:50 +0100
Dear Barry,    (01)

I do not know why you would want to limit the criterion to a shared
syntax. Why not ask for a shared semantic? Up to recently (Ian
Horrock's et al mapping OBO to OWL), OBO did not even have a formal
semantics. And I doubt that now this problem is solved by the OBO-OWL
mapping, since most people using OBO will not care about the semantics
given by the OWL mapping. Since the Dagstuhl discussions on why OWL is
not sufficient for expressing the problems are still in my head, so I
do not want to restart the discussion, I just wanted to know if the
long term goal also is to agree on a share semantic?    (02)

Extending to FOL-based ontologies is certainly good for tackling the
expressivity bottleneck. I guess reasoning will not be one of the
major usecases for these expressive ontologies?    (03)

When you say the ontology is available in OBO and OWL, I assume they
both adhere to OWL semantic?    (04)

Best,
Holger    (05)

Am 21.03.2008 um 15:14 schrieb Barry Smith:    (06)