Re: [ontology-summit] [Quality] What means

To: <ontology-summit@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: <matthew.west@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 21 Mar 2008 10:40:22 -0000
Dear Pat, John, and Barry,    (01)

I think the problem that many have with academic review is that it
is open to abuse and personal prejudice.    (02)

An approach that is aimed at being more structured is Document Inspection.
This at least tries to be objective, and is designed to make being subjective
harder.    (03)

The approach is to measure a document against its purpose and target audience.
It uses a team of trained inspectors (training is simple and straightforward)
 - Divide document so that (for total inspection) each part of the document is
   reviewed by 3 inspectors (diminishing returns after 3 in terms of
identifying
   new issues). Author is one of the inspectors.
 - Identify issues:
   - Statements that are untrue, or unclear and/or ambiguous to target audience
     - Super-major - show stopper
     - Major - subverts the purpose of the document
     - Minor - incorrect but no major impact
     - Editorial - grammar and spelling, badly laid out diagrams
Review the issues, determine whether document is fit for purpose (no Super
Major,
low count of majors).    (04)

This gives a rationale for rejection, and provides the basis for improvement
so that inclusion becomes possible. The issue list is publicly available so that
people can see where the deliverable is, and whether the issues raised are a
concern for them.    (05)

This is of course the essence of reaching consensus in a standardization
process,
but if you are getting into any level of approval, you ARE doing
standardization,
however you choose to dress it up.    (06)

Regards    (07)

Matthew West
Reference Data Architecture and Standards Manager
Shell International Petroleum Company Limited
Registered in England and Wales
Registered number: 621148
Registered office: Shell Centre, London SE1 7NA, United Kingdom    (08)

Tel: +44 20 7934 4490 Mobile: +44 7796 336538
Email: matthew.west@xxxxxxxxx
http://www.shell.com
http://www.matthew-west.org.uk/    (09)