Re: [ontology-summit] [Quality] What means "open" in "Open Ontology Repo

To: Ontology Summit 2008 <ontology-summit@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: Pat Hayes <phayes@xxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 19 Mar 2008 13:13:09 -0500
At 12:15 PM -0400 3/19/08, Fabian Neuhaus wrote:
>Let me put it this way: even the best argument
>for the advantages of chocolate ice cream would not be a reasonable
>argument for a prohibition of vanilla ice cream.    (01)

Aptly put.    (02)

>Barry summarized very well what the goal of gatekeeping is: "if an OOR
>is to be useful, then potential users need to have reliable
>expectations as to what it will contain".    (03)

It seems to me that the best way - perhaps the only way - to
determine this, is to read the ontology itself (or to put it through
more dynamic tests, such as inputting to a reasoner or trying its
effect on a battery of test cases.)  What more does Barry expect by
way of telling a potential user what it will contain? Can we see some
examples? For example, consider the OWL-Time ontology, with a
covering statement consisting of the observation that it is an
ontology of time and temporal relationships, including dates and
time-zones, intended for general use, and written in OWL-DL. Would
that suffice?    (04)

>The question that we need to
>answer is: In order to archive this goal of gatekeeping, do we have to
>ban all ontologies that don't meet (i-v)?    (05)

Clearly not. All this is required is open access to the actual
ontology. IMO this is the only criterion whose necessity is worth
serious discussion.    (06)

PatH    (07)

IHMC            (850)434 8903 or (650)494 3973   home
40 South Alcaniz St.    (850)202 4416   office
http://www.ihmc.us/users/phayes      phayesAT-SIGNihmc.us
http://www.flickr.com/pathayes/collections    (08)