Re: [ontology-summit] [Quality] What means "open" in "Open Ontology Repo

To: Ontology Summit 2008 <ontology-summit@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Ontology Summit 2008 <ontology-summit@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: Barry Smith <phismith@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 20 Mar 2008 08:24:57 -0400
At 09:47 AM 3/19/2008, John F. Sowa wrote:
>Barry,
>
>I certainly agree with that point:
>
>  > If an OOR is to be useful, then potential users need to have
>  > reliable expectations as to what it will contain.
>
>But the next assumption does not follow:
>
>  > This means some sort of gatekeeping. This means in turn that
>  > some things will not be included.  But not including something
>  > in an OOR is not equivalent to banning that something. There
>  > are always other ponds in which one can play.
>
>An important point about a repository is that it contains a
>large amount of metadata, among which would be records about
>who developed, used, revised, and extended it and the results
>that were obtained in various applications.    (01)

Any old metadata? In any old format? In Gaelic?    (02)

>But an ontology that is optimal for one range of applications
>is not likely to be optimal for all purposes.  Therefore, it's
>essential to include all the alternatives, with a detailed
>record of their uses, successes, and failures.    (03)

Any old record? In any old format? In Gaelic?    (04)

>That metadata
>provides the guidance that developers need to make a choice.    (05)

Should it be ... honest?
If people are caught supplying dishonest metadata should they be banished?    (06)

>Then they can "vote with their feet" to determine which one(s)
>are most appropriate for various applications.  And the ultimate
>decisions would be based on results -- not a priori opinions.    (07)

All my opinions are a posteriori.
I assume that yours are too.    (08)

>At this stage, there is very little evidence that anybody knows
>what an ideal ontology would be.    (09)

I seek not an ideal ontology, but a good ontology, which I can
recommend in good faith to ontology non-aficionados.
BS     (010)