Re: [ontology-summit] [Quality] What means "open" in "Open Ontology Repo

To: Ontology Summit 2008 <ontology-summit@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: Fabian Neuhaus <fabian.neuhaus@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 17 Mar 2008 13:19:20 -0400

Okay, let me try to summarize. Everybody, please let me know  if  I
misrepresented  your position.    (01)

We are discussing the scope of the OOR, thus the minimal requirements an
ontology has to meet.    (02)

Peter Yim and Ravi Sharma  suggest the following:
(i) the ontology is based on open standards AND
(ii) an ontology that is created and maintained in a cooperative process
that is, in principle, open to everybody who wants to participate AND
(iii) an ontology that is created and maintained in a transparent
process AND
(iv) the ontology is accessible to all who can be identified or
authenticated (at least Read only) AND
(v) the ontology is available under a license that includes virtually no
restrictions on the use and distribution of the ontology.    (03)

[I assume that a standard is considered to be "open" if and only if it
meets analogs of criteria (ii)-(v), FN]    (04)

Matthew West objects to (v).
Pat Hayes objects to (ii) and (iii).    (05)

It seems to me that this discussion won't be resolved easily. If nobody
objects, I will put it on the list of topics to be discussed on the
Ontological Summit during the "Quality and Gatekeeping" section.    (06)

Best
Fabian    (07)