Re: [ontology-summit] [Quality] What means "open" in "Open OntologyRepos

To: "'Ontology Summit 2008'" <ontology-summit@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: 'Jeff Heflin' <heflin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: "Peter Benson" <Peter.Benson@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 17 Mar 2008 15:36:47 -0400
Thank you for adding me to the distribution list - I was wondering what to
do with my spare time.
Hi Matthew :)
ISO 22745 defines the operation of such a registry we call it an open
technical dictionary to distinguish it from an identification guide. The
combination of what we call an open technical dictionary and an
identification guide probably (maybe) make up what you are calling an
ontology.
(i) is motherhood and apple pie given the name OOR and I hate to be picky
but what do you mean by an ontology based on an open standard.
(ii) same goes for cooperative - we use the term consensus as it is better
defined at least by ANSI
(iii)transparent process hmm... I would be interested in seeing the
definition - can be done though
(iv) why the need for identification, and why authenticated (by whom?)
starting to look not so open after all
(v) virtually no restrictions on the use and distribution of the ontology;
pretty slippery ground. Grey is never a good color when you are dealing with
IP.
I just thought it was time I added my 2 cents worth (if I wait any longer
they would be worth even less)
Regards,    (01)

Peter Benson
Executive Director and Chief Technical Officer
Electronic Commerce Code Management Association (ECCMA)    (02)