Re: [ontology-summit] [Quality] What means "open" in "Open Ontology Repo

To: Ontology Summit 2008 <ontology-summit@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: Bill Andersen <andersen@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 21 Mar 2008 15:20:54 -0400
Thanks, Fabian, for the recap...    (01)

I think it was Pat who said that, if things came down to issues of
methodology and politics instead of logic, that he wasn't so
interested in a discussion of OORs.  Not that it's not interesting, if
I caught his meaning correctly.    (02)

I should say that I am in about the same place.  There seems to be a
lot of worry about gatekeeping.  But why not simply follow the
sourceforge model?    (03)

On sourceforge:    (04)

   * There exist many projects in many different languages and
mixtures thereof
   * Nobody "controls" anything in the sense that any one person is
excluded
   * Participation in projects is voluntary
   * Projects may have gatekeeping (e.g. editors)
   * It's all searchable    (05)

So, what can an OOR add to this?  Given that it's dedicated to
managing ontologies written (hopefully) in this or that formal
language, one could imagine a minimal set of semantic categories (e.g.
class, relation, instance) that all might (optionally) use for
categorization, and one could imagine perhaps using a metamodel of
syntax for each logical system, all to guide search, coupled with some
kind of clever lexical indexing schemes that perhaps take advantage of
google-like ranking techniques.  We might also throw in the ability to
explicitly link terms between ontologies as an augmentation to search.    (06)

Aside from that, what is needed?  If we go from global gatekeeping to
project-based stewardship, then don't all these controversies just
evaporate?    (07)

        .bill    (08)

On Mar 19, 2008, at 12:15 , Fabian Neuhaus wrote:    (09)

> Dear All,
> Although I enjoy the discussion I believe we are in the danger of
> digressing. Let me recap: We started to discuss a  list of gatekeeping
> conditions that each ontology that is part of the ontology *must*
> meet,
> and this discussion thread is about the "openness clause" of this
> list.
> (The list of gatekeeping conditions, including a short summary of the
> discussion about "openness" is available here
>
>http://ontolog.cim3.net/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?OntologySummit2008_QualityAndGatekeeping
> ).
> Given this context, any arguments about the benefits of open processes
> seem to me irrelevant. Let me put it this way: even the best argument
> for the advantages of chocolate ice cream would not be a reasonable
> argument for a prohibition of vanilla ice cream. The same applies in
> our
> situation: There are very good arguments to be made for creating
> ontologies that are 'open' in a sense that meets all of the
> requirements
> (i-v). However, these arguments have no relevance to the question at
> hand: namely whether we want to make (i-v) necessary conditions and
> thus
> ban all ontologies that don't fulfill them from the OOR.
>
> Barry summarized very well what the goal of gatekeeping is: "if an OOR
> is to be useful, then potential users need to have reliable
> expectations as to what it will contain". The question that we need to
> answer is: In order to archive this goal of gatekeeping, do we have to
> ban all ontologies that don't meet (i-v)? Or would it be sufficient --
> as Matthew suggests -- to include in the description of an ontology
> clear statements on whether or not (or to what extent) the conditions
> (i-v) are met? Or do we need something in between (e.g. ban all
> ontologies that are not published under an 'open' license and
> include in
> the description whether the development process is 'open')?
>
> Another way of achieving reliable expectations might be to divide the
> repository into two parts: the "Open Ontology Repository" and the
> "Extended Ontology Repository". The former would contain only
> ontologies
> that are open in a very strict sense (e.g. meeting all of the
> conditions
> (i-v)). The latter would include ontologies which meet all other
> gatekeeping requirements except for the strict openness criterion and
> provide clear statements to which extend they do not meet the openness
> criterion.
>
> Best
> Fabian
>

> Bill Bug wrote:
>> Sorry to add more to the thread, but I believe Rex is making an
>> important point worth highlighting.  Some of what I say below builds
>> on comments by others, including the post John Sowa has just made in
> [...]

Bill Andersen (andersen@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx)
Ontology Works, Inc. (www.ontologyworks.com)
3600 O'Donnell Street, Suite 600
Baltimore, MD 21224