Re: [ontology-summit] [Quality] What means "open" in "Open Ontology Repo

To: "'Ontology Summit 2008'" <ontology-summit@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: "Patrick Cassidy" <pat@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 18 Mar 2008 01:22:19 -0400

Just to add: I would also object to ii, because it would exclude locally developed ontologies that are precisely aligned with some foundation ontology maintained in the OOR and therefore highly reusable and integratable with others.

I’m not sure what ‘transparent’ in iii. means.  I would include as a metric of an ontology how well documented it is.  As a crude first approximation, the average number of words in the comment field of each ontology element might be calculated, to give potential users a guess as to how difficult it will be to guess the intended meanings of the ontology elements.  The more documentation, the better.  Of course, better organized documentation is also better, but harder to find a metric for.

Pat

Patrick Cassidy

MICRA, Inc.

908-561-3416