Re: [ontology-summit] [Quality] What means "open" in "Open Ontology Repo

To: Ontology Summit 2008 <ontology-summit@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: Fabian Neuhaus <fabian.neuhaus@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 21 Mar 2008 16:07:54 -0400
John,
As I pointed out in the email that initiated this thread we need to
distinguish two jobs:
(i) We need to develop a set of minimal requirements that any ontology
needs to fulfill in order to be accepted as part of the Open Ontology
Repository (= Gatekeeping).
(ii) Further, we need to discuss the different ways the quality of an
ontology within the OOR can be evaluated and what kind of services the
OOR needs to provide to support these kinds of evaluation. (= Caretaking
or Stewardship)    (01)

This discussion thread began with a discussion of possible gatekeeping
criteria (e.g. "the ontology has to be published under an 'open'
license" or "the syntax of the language has to be specified"). At some
point the topic changed and people started to discuss ontology
evaluation and stewardship. Which is fine, but it probably would have
been better if they would have used the thread started by Rex, just to
keep the topics separated.    (02)

Fabian    (03)