Re: [ontology-summit] [Quality] What means "open" in "Open Ontology Repo

To: Ontology Summit 2008 <ontology-summit@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: Fabian Neuhaus <fabian.neuhaus@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 14 Mar 2008 17:40:55 -0400

Dear All,    (01)

As part of the discussion on gatekeeping we need to come to an agreement
on the scope of the repository. In particular, what do we mean by
"open"? Coming from the OBO (= Open Biomedical Ontologies) Community I
understood "open" in "Open Ontology Repository" to express that the
ontologies within the OOR are resources that is created by a community
of users and can be used by everybody with virtually no legal
restrictions. Matthew West pointed out that within the standards
community  "open" just means "that there is an open process for its
development and the resolution of issues raised against it, which, in
principle at least, anyone can take part in." The result of an open
process in this sense (like ISO 15926) might be an ontology protected by
a copyright that prohibits republishing  and its documentation might not
be available for free.    (02)

I would like to hear what people think is the best way to go.
Is the OOR supposed restricted to ontologies that are developed in an
open process and come with very light weight copyright licenses (e.g. *
*Creative Commons Attribution )?
Or is OOR open for all ontologies that are developed in an open process
regardless of their copyright license?
Would the OOR be open for ontologies that are developed and maintained
by a group of people who don't want to participate in an open process
but are willing to publish their ontology as a freely available resource
for the community?    (03)

Best
Fabian    (04)