Re: [ontolog-forum] More by and about Turing

To: "[ontolog-forum] " <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: "Obrst, Leo J." <lobrst@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 18 Jul 2015 19:46:46 +0000
John,    (01)

Any human-specified "universal" (foundational) ontology has to follow reality
(which exists independently of our ontological speculation, if you are a
realist). This is why science and ontology are partners. Phlogiston theory
flamed out as other science developed, but who knows: it may come back some
day. Reality doesn't change; our descriptions/theories do. Theories are
logical/mathematical descriptions of reality (though there may be other avenues
at arriving at reality, if you tolerate religion and poetry, though these are
probably less computable, at least currently), and as such, are or should be
modifiable. One of our definitions of an ontology is that it is a logical
theory about some portion of the world.     (02)

Metaphysics, from which philosophical ontology springs, is useful as a body of
discriminating thought/reasoning, that helps you filter nonsense, provides
guidance as you look at the world and the possible/probable things in it. This
is why metaphysics is necessary. It helps you cut the crap. It too constantly
evolves. Because it is tethered even farther from direct reality than is
ontology, sometimes it's considered useless -- an erroneous view, to me. For
one example: think of how many folks conflate ontology with semantics.    (03)

Thanks,
Leo    (04)