Re: [ontolog-forum] What is ontological malpractice? (Was: Re: More by a

To: [ontolog-forum] <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: John Bottoms <john@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 19 Jul 2015 15:41:46 -0400
Steve,

William H. Kenworthey developed the first Federal ontology while he was at the Pentagon. I had lunch with him 25 years ago and he gave me a copy of it.

He is 87 and retired now; I spoke with him two weeks ago and we discussed the progress that has been made in ontology study. He reinforced the need for organized data for business use. I used his comment in a presentation I made in Washington last week:

   —“An ontology is like a Tarmac. It takes a long time to build one and
       when you’re finished it just lays there. But if you have one, you can

       land a lot of 747’s on it."

                                                          - William H. Kenworthey Jr.
                                                             Office of the Deputy Secretary of Defense
                                                             Management Systems, Pentagon (retired)

I could not find the document online and it is a bit outdated by today's standards. The original; ISO/IEC JTC 1/SC 14 N 492, has been superseded by ISO/IEC TR 20943-1:2003. In particular TR 20943-6 is of interest. This document is available on the web, but it is a preview and references the key documents ISO/IEC 11179.
https://www.iso.org/obp/ui/#iso:std:iso-iec:tr:20943:-6:ed-1:v1:en
This document is a preview. It references ISO/IEC 11179 (6 parts), which can be found on the web at:
http://www.jtc1sc32.org/free_standards.html
There is a license agreement which you will need to approve before you can access these documents.

Steve,
Finally, I have tracked your contributions to electronic publishing for many years. Thank you, I greatly appreciate the work you, Dr. Jim Mason and others have made in getting us to where we are today. This is in spite of my opinions of the Web. It is unfortunate that this work is path dependent, as some of the decisions made getting here will make future work difficult.

-John Bottoms