Re: [ontolog-forum] What is ontological malpractice? (Was: Re: More by a

To: "[ontolog-forum] " <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: Edward Barkmeyer <ebarkmeyer@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 19 Jul 2015 17:11:30 +0000
Steve,    (01)

I agree wholeheartedly with the first half of this.  Of all the fields of
endeavor that I have encountered, software engineering is one of the least
"professional".  There is no reliable professional certification, and the
engineering companies make no warranty for their products and take no
responsibility for their failures.  There are a number of certifications, but
they seem to be relatively narrow in their scope, and focused more on the
terminology of specific technologies than on reliable use.    (02)

OTOH, whenever a new technology becomes a practicable engineering mechanism,
it takes 20+ years for it to become a well-specified element of a professional
discipline.  It required several  architects and engineers to have carefully
designed and built suspension bridges and 10+ years experience with their use
to convince the body of engineers that it was not a crackpot idea.  One of the
problems with "ontology development" is that its value as an engineering tool
has only come into existence with a relatively recent improvement in the
computational hardware (c. 2000).  The science for this has developed over
centuries, but the engineering practice itself has not really been feasible
(Cyc notwithstanding) until the last 20 years, and the first set of
well-defined practices (e.g. OWL) were stabilized around 2000.  So we are still
in the area of learning how to engineer systems based on this technology, so
that we can define "best practice".      (03)

(Conversely,  we could have defined "best practice" for a lot of software
engineering in 1980, and again in the early 1990s, and we repeatedly chose the
"black art" view and fads and silver bullets instead.)    (04)

-Ed    (05)

Edward J. Barkmeyer
Thematix Partners
Email: ebarkmeyer@xxxxxxxxxxxx