Re: [ontolog-forum] What is ontological malpractice? (Was: Re: More by a

To: "'[ontolog-forum] '" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: "Bruce Schuman" <bruceschuman@xxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 19 Jul 2015 09:37:30 -0700

Turning now to my favorite hobby horse:  It is not enough to know how to build bridges between universes of discourse, or how to anchor the endpoints of such bridges on solid ontological foundations.  It is also necessary to build many, many instances of bridges, and to maintain them (when possible) across the ontological equivalent of hurricanes, earthquakes, and all other kinds of change.  That would entail creating the economic foundations of bridge-building, bridge-maintaining, and bridge-anchoring enterprises.  Such a knowledge-ecosystem would reward those whose opinions about what's what are measurably and publicly the most reliable for the most cases.

Could you illustrate this exciting argument with some specifics – domains of discourse, economic foundations, objectives, technical solutions?

Bruce Schuman