Re: [ontolog-forum] some of the challenge(s) ontologists face

To: "Nadin, Mihai" <nadin@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: "[ontolog-forum]" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: Pat Hayes <phayes@xxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 16 Jul 2015 20:36:31 -0500

On Jul 16, 2015, at 1:07 PM, Nadin, Mihai <nadin@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:    (01)

> Dear Rich Cooper:
> You say:
> It isn't necessarily true that a machine is a closed system.  The ultimate
>conversing machine, for example, can acquire and store new experiences with
>new syntax, concepts, vocabularies, or just verbs, nouns, adjectives and the
>like.
> Please give my text on predictive computation (for which I provided a link--
>http://www.nadin.ws/archives/2466) a bit of your attention. Turing provided
>early on details on what machines are.    (02)

I presume you are referring to Turing machines. But actual computers attached
to the internet are not Turing machines. For example, they are able to respond
in real time to a telephone connect tone, which is beyond the capacity of a
Turing machine.     (03)

> The “ultimate conversing” machine you describe is a goal towards which many
>work. However, the capabilities you associate with it do not make it an open
>system (in the sense in which system theory defines open systems).    (04)

Can you please provide a reference for this sense of 'open system'?     (05)

Pat Hayes    (06)

IHMC                                     (850)434 8903 home
40 South Alcaniz St.            (850)202 4416   office
FL 32502                              (850)291 0667   mobile (preferred)
phayes@xxxxxxx       http://www.ihmc.us/users/phayes    (07)