Re: [ontolog-forum] some of the challenge(s) ontologists face

To: "[ontolog-forum]" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: Pat Hayes <phayes@xxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 17 Jul 2015 00:33:53 -0500

On Jul 16, 2015, at 9:30 PM, John F Sowa <sowa@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:    (01)

> On 7/16/2015 9:36 PM, Pat Hayes wrote:
>> I presume you are referring to Turing machines. But actual computers
>> attached to the internet are not Turing machines. For example, they
>> are able to respond in real time to a telephone connect tone, which
>> is beyond the capacity of a Turing machine.
>
> Robert Soare wrote a good survey of Turing's Oracle machines,
> Emil Post's further developments of Turing's rather brief
> comments, and the implications of connecting a Turing machine
> (or any digital computer) to the Internet:
>
>    http://www.people.cs.uchicago.edu/~soare/History/turing.pdf
>    Turing Oracle Machines, Online Computing, and
>    Three Displacements in Computability Theory
>
> His concluding paragraph:
>> For pedagogical reasons with beginning students it is reasonable
>> to first present Turing a-machines and ordinary computability.
>> However, any introductory computability book should then present
>> as soon as possible Turing oracle machines (o-machines) and relative
>> computability.  Parallels should be drawn with offline and online
>> computing in the real world.    (02)

Oracle machines deal with some issues of computability in the real world, but I
was thinking more of the fact that actual computer behavior often depends on
real time of responses, which is a crticial aspect of computer science and
computer engineering which is completely invisible from the perspective of the
theory of Turing computability.     (03)

As a general intellectual rule, any identification of the living/computer
contrast with any xxx/Turing-computable contrast, for pretty much any xxx, is
probably nonsense. For a thorough debunking of one famous attempt, see
http://www.ihmc.us/users/phayes/Pub/LaforteHayesFord.pdf    (04)

Pat    (05)

> John

>     (06)

IHMC                                     (850)434 8903 home
40 South Alcaniz St.            (850)202 4416   office
FL 32502                              (850)291 0667   mobile (preferred)
phayes@xxxxxxx       http://www.ihmc.us/users/phayes    (07)