Re: [ontolog-forum] Fruit fly emotions mimic human emotions - ontology d

To: ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
From: John F Sowa <sowa@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 19 May 2015 12:02:04 -0400
On 5/18/2015 7:44 PM, Rich Cooper wrote:
> I am interested in the emotions, their interrelationships,
> and math models of how they work in a library of situations.    (01)

There have been many, many such models over the centuries.
For a model developed by the psychologist David Matsumoto and
applied to "human intelligence", see
http://www.humintell.com/macroexpressions-microexpressions-and-subtle-expressions/    (02)

That page has 7 sample faces that express his "universal facial
expressions of emotion":  Happy, Surprise, Contempt, Sadness, Anger,
Disgust, and Fear.  It also cites some publications that describe
applications of that classification.    (03)

> I am looking for an algorithm that could, with sizeable numbers
> of fruit flies, and sizeable numbers of situations experimentally
> simulated to the flies, elicit the ontology of the fruit fly's
> response CLASS TYPEs through observing the behavior of the fruit flies.    (04)

I got that message from your previous note.    (05)

JFS
> Don't expect a "unified theory" based on a simple combination
> of features or components.    (06)

RC
> But do use a simple framework of combinations of the common
> components to explore the emotion space.    (07)

Philosophers, psychologists, psychiatrists, and neuroscientists
have devoted many person-millennia to exploring the "emotion space"
with a huge number of simple and complex frameworks.    (08)

If anybody comes up with a really good combination, I would express
something between Happy and Surprise.  But I'm not holding my breath.    (09)