Re: [ontolog-forum] Endurantism and Perdurantism - Re: Some Comments on

To: "[ontolog-forum]" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: Thomas Johnston <tmj44p@xxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 4 Apr 2015 18:10:44 +0000 (UTC)
I concur with John's trichotomy, but with the following thoughts. (1) I'm uncomfortable with lumping ordinary language and formal languages into a single category. Formal languages, individually or collectively, are still formalizations of only part of the way we reason in ordinary language, and are judged by comparisons with those patterns of reasoning. (2) And those shared opinions of A folks are just what are expressed in the ways that B folks talk, so the cleavage between A and B is less absolute than it might otherwise seem.

I like Leo's description of A folks and B folks. It seems to me accurate and non-trivial. In that, it brought to mind Eliot's beautiful characterization of how language should be used:

The end is where we start from. And every phrase
And sentence that is right (where every word is at home,
Taking its place to support the others,
The word neither diffident nor ostentatious,
An easy commerce of the old and the new,
The common word exact without vulgarity,
The formal word precise but not pedantic,
The complete consort dancing together)
Every phrase and every sentence is an end and a beginning,

As for C folks, that's us,right? So what is the relationship between C and B? I would call a "formal ontology" a making explicit of some set of ontological commitments in ordinary language, and the _expression_ of those explicit commitments in a formal language. So what about the way people talk in a formal language? If it's talk, it's not just a set of strings of symbols, conforming to some wff rules. It's interpreted talk, e.g. a FOPL system with a Tarskian model. In that case, a formal ontology is the _expression_ of that model in its own formal system.

Just some random thoughts, possibly a little off-target.

Tom

What about this?