Re: [ontolog-forum] Endurantism and Perdurantism - Re: Some Comments on

To: "[ontolog-forum]" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: Ravi Sharma <drravisharma@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 3 Apr 2015 11:37:34 -0700
Similarly, can we wrap the "parts of" or "taxonomies with just hierarchies", and use ontologies for complex relations among things that require logic? Such as driverless car.

If we are also aware of users most would have a notion of word CAR in multiple languages so how far do we go to address the last target audience, there are no ontologies yet for aliens to understand us except such as  Pioneer spacecraft symbols of humans and images of solar system and numbers.
Regards,
Ravi

On Fri, Apr 3, 2015 at 11:13 AM, Rich Cooper <Rich@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Matthew West wrote:

>>>The critical distinction is in the restrictions implied by the
system of logic and ontology.
[MW>] Right. Now this is closer to what I was expecting. That you
retain the name, but drop the axioms when you translate between
different ontologies.
If you have a very tightly restricted logic, it's impossible to
say "driverless car".
[MW>] Again right, and this points to the problem of this
approach, which is how you identify what you mean so that it
still has the same membership (in the real world) across
ontologies with different foundations.<<<

This is the best suggestion I have heard yet on the ontology
list.  Use the name, but not the definition of OntoA, the
sender's ontology, and assign it in name only to OntoB, a
receiver's ontology.

That makes it possible to use to free the definition (in
declarative or interpretable form) for operation on only a few of
the names input, and from a very different viewpoint in each
designation of that name.  This would work like a name-linked
parameter or external binding of the nameB from B's own reasoning
processes.

Sincerely,
Rich Cooper,
www DOT EnglishLogicKernel DOT com