Re: [ontolog-forum] Endurantism and Perdurantism - Re: Some Comments on

To: "'[ontolog-forum] '" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: "Rich Cooper" <Rich@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 17 Mar 2015 15:53:40 -0700

Ravi,

I wish I could agree re the common vocabulary being feasible, but the evidence I get has consistently opposed that conjecture.

From discussing EHRs with doctors in private practice, I find that they hate it.  It does use a common medical vocabulary in EHR specifications, which are basically a class of XML specs.

The docs hate putting in all that data which is so tightly specified that the EHR costs them a lot of extra time.  They try to get their MTs to do it for them, which makes a real mess.  They agree that they get more revenue from the insurance companies with such a tight medical specification, but they hate that they have to spend so much time away from the patient.

The profession is being forced to change so that the information system can work better.  I thought the priorities were the other way around.

I saw the same thing happen in a 911 response system case.  The system took 20 minutes to enter the data for a new customer, largely because the fields in each form were so tightly type constrained that they were without option even in emergencies; the insurance data had to be in before they could get authorization to send out the EMTs and/or the police.

In the software engineering world over the last five decades, the same process happened.  It changed from a fun research area to a sweat shop populated by software engineers, who came and went.

Physical therapists, year by year, are being required to get more and more degrees and certificates or else new grads will not be able to practice.  The older practicing therapists are grandfathered in of course, or they would have opposed it.

The answer is not tighter constraints on workers.  Automate them, but don't force each one to fit a canned role or they lose their creativity and motivation.

Replace them completely if possible, but constraining them event by event simply makes the activity unworkable sooner or later.

The short term business result is good - investors get better returns in the short term by forcing 1984 like practices.  But in the long run, it goes the way of so many other businesses that automated their processes into useful valuable commodities.  Then they get replaced by new developments.

The common wisdom rule is that people improve performance by twenty to thirty percent every time they double their experience.  That rule is commonly used in estimating progress on large projects involving learning.  But when there is nothing to learn, and the tasks are rigidly prescribed, it's time for a computer.

Sincerely,

Rich Cooper,

Rich Cooper,

www DOT EnglishLogicKernel DOT com