Re: [ontolog-forum] Endurantism and Perdurantism - Re: Some Comments on

To: "[ontolog-forum] " <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: Edward Barkmeyer <ebarkmeyer@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 17 Mar 2015 23:43:57 +0000

Matthew,

That is exactly the  point.  If I am modeling the world that results (by inference) from a plan, I can take that to world to be the (actual) universe of discourse for that reasoning exercise.  I don’t need it to be “certain that the plan would not change …”; I mean to analyze the effects of that plan.  And I can examine multiple plans, each in its own world.  To go beyond that, I am in a Plantinga universe in which some states are Actual and others are imported into that universe as explicitly named ‘possible worlds’ along with their content.  If you have a reasoning tool that can deal with that kind of situation, then you are dealing with possibilia in a particular engineering approach to achieving some analytical result.  But it has nothing specifically to do with ‘branching time’.  I can make similar models of possible current worlds based on  limited knowledge and some specific assumptions for each such world.  (And OBTW, that is a common phenomenon in ‘intelligence operations’, where the ‘intelligence’ is of a different kind from AI. ;-))

The whole problem, as others have said, is that certain ontologists become wedded to particular philosophies of ‘time’ and ‘possibilia’, and they tend to view alternative models as “lesser” or outright “incorrect”.  My point was only that you make a model for a purpose, and you can choose any model of time that is adequate to solve the problem(s) for which the ontology/model was intended.   These things are not epistemological.   “All models are wrong; some are useful.”

-Ed