Re: [ontolog-forum] Endurantism and Perdurantism - Re: Some Comments on

To: "[ontolog-forum]" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: Ravi Sharma <drravisharma@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 18 Mar 2015 01:54:49 -0700
Rich
I saw your post after my email sent a few minutes ago. However your comments about XML and EHR are absolutely valid.

Over 50 years that I have associated with computers, their "intelligence" has undoubtedly evolved (ALU and Gates to Watson, or some expertise) because programmers and architects and manufacturers are learning (and jokingly the operating systems owners played the trick of progressively fixing problems, due to user feedback), therefore there is always a struggle at ease of use for the purpose. Efforts at places such as Apple and Google are trying to make user experience tolerable by removing exposure to integration layers and by assuring interoperability among services and applications, but I agree we are very far from a technology friendly human interface.

EHR should concentrate on intermediaries as service providers who seamlessly evolve transitions from Medical transcriptions and unreadable notes for pharmacists to evolving a sharable knowledge about patient's health. Regulation authority and wisdom to regulate are distinct aspects! CMS could certainly do more with knowledge engineering and use.
Snomed, Medline, and ontologies are also evolving as are the diagnoses and tools (pathology, imaging etc.).

I could not agree more.
Hope ontologies are actually helping reduce these info and knowledge gaps - I think! (self justification)!
Regards,
Ravi