Re: [ontolog-forum] Grand Unified Theories

To: <Avril.Styrman@xxxxxxxxxxx>, "'[ontolog-forum] '" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "'John F Sowa'" <sowa@xxxxxxxxxxx>
From: "Rich Cooper" <Rich@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 8 Mar 2015 09:51:22 -0700

AS> Do you really think that simplicity is in the eye of the beholder?

Absolutely!  All meaning is in the mind of the beholder however it is beheld.

AS> Is it subjective that a 65' Cadillac consumes 40 litres (or more)

of gas in a 100 miles and a 2015 Cadillac consumes less than 20

litres?

Those facts seem important to you.  You must have an emotional attachment to Cadillacs.  Personally, if they got a hundred MPG I wouldn't want to drive one.

I think of science as an iterative "improvement" in our understanding and recognition of invariant processes.  But even "improvement" is a subjective factor.

You make the assumption, which biases your thinking, that there really does exist a GUT somewhere.  Maybe there is, and certainly we can postulate a grander theory that says all our subtheories are true at another node we can create and call a GUT.  But there is no value, no closing of the loop in that process.

If you can drop that assumption, your thoughts might move in a different direction, like the belief revision systems we recently discussed.  How do we determine, when a new theory is postulated, where it’s predictions mismatch experiment?  There should be a tool for that.

Sincerely,

Rich Cooper,

www DOT EnglishLogicKernel DOT com

Rich AT EnglishLogicKernel DOT com