Re: [ontolog-forum] Grand Unified Theories

To: "[ontolog-forum] " <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: Michael Brunnbauer <brunni@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 9 Mar 2015 15:08:31 +0100

Hello John,    (01)

On Sat, Mar 07, 2015 at 12:53:18AM -0500, John F Sowa wrote:
> MB
> > 4D-space - usually infinite in all directions if one of
> > its roles is to explain the finite 3D-volume.
>
> You have to distinguish the model from the thing you're modeling.    (02)

Why should I? We are talking about a GUT. My only insight into the nature of
what I am modeling is through the model.    (03)

> We could, in theory, embed a curved N dimensional space in an
> infinite Euclidean space of N+1 dimensions.  But that infinity is
> in the theoretical model.  The universe itself could be finite.    (04)

Does DU make no commitment about the existence of the fourth space dimension?
Does it make no falsifiable predictions about it?    (05)

I do not know the specific reasons for the the fourth space dimension in DU
but if you postulate a fourth space dimension to explain a finite 3D-volume
(instead of creating a special topological space), you better avoid the same
problem on the 4D level by making the 4D-space infinite.    (06)

> MB
> > There can be a first state but no last state too. Isn't this
> > what people usually assume today?
>
> Since space, time, matter, and energy are intimately related
> by all known theories of physics, the concepts of 'before'
> and 'after' apply only for events within the universe.
> Those terms might be meaningful in some theoretical model,
> but they would have no meaning within the universe itself.    (07)

DU seems to have absolute time. Are you sure the question about the existence
of a first state and a last state is not meaningful?    (08)

Regards,    (09)

Michael Brunnbauer    (010)

--
++  Michael Brunnbauer