Re: [ontolog-forum] Grand Unified Theories

To: "[ontolog-forum]" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, David Eddy <deddy@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: Pat Hayes <phayes@xxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 3 Mar 2015 23:43:18 -0600

On Mar 3, 2015, at 7:27 PM, David Eddy <deddy@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:    (01)

> Pat -
>
> On Mar 03, 2015, at 3:21 PM, Pat Hayes <phayes@xxxxxxx> wrote:
>
>> Double entry bookkeeping was in use in the 13th century. Calculus was
>developed in the 17th century. Four hundred years is a pretty long ferment.
>
> To a certain extent I'd argue that things moved way slower back then.
>
> If I remember correctly it took 100 years to accept Newton's work.    (02)

Newton's work was widely acknowledged as revolutionary within a year of its
publication. He was world-famous in his own lifetime, and not just among
natural philosophers. Alexander Pope wrote his epitaph, still visible on his
tomb in Westminster Abbey, where he received a state funeral.     (03)

Galileo's ideas were widely known throughout Europe within a couple of years of
their publication. If you visit Padua you can see the special lectern they
built in the courtyard because his lectures attracted so many people, from all
over Europe, that no building could house them all.     (04)

> Back then how long was it received wisdom that the Earth was the center of
>the universe?
>

> Double entry bookkeeping (what little I remember) works on a LEFT = RIGHT
>model.  Calculus takes that basic "everything is balanced" assumption & proves
>that all the energy from a physical event is measurable.    (05)

This is complete nonsense. You have absolutely no idea what you are talking
about.     (06)

Pat Hayes    (07)

IHMC                                     (850)434 8903 home
40 South Alcaniz St.            (850)202 4416   office
FL 32502                              (850)291 0667   mobile (preferred)
phayes@xxxxxxx       http://www.ihmc.us/users/phayes    (08)