Re: [ontolog-forum] Grand Unified Theories

To: "[ontolog-forum]" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: David Eddy <deddy@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 3 Mar 2015 08:46:58 -0500
John -

On Mar 03, 2015, at 8:11 AM, John F Sowa <sowa@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Meanwhile, the very many practical applications use old theories that
are known to be be inadequate in the details.  Good old-fashioned
Newtonian mechanics is a prime example.

For your bookshelf... "Relevance Lost" by H. Thomas Johnson & Robert S. Kaplan

I met Johnson at a Management Accounting seminar in 1992.  He opened his closing keynote thusly: "We have come to the end of our ability to understand & describe the world around us within the confines of Newtonian physics."

When he delivered this talk, he was unaware he was standing within 100' of an Isaac Newton apple tree.

Double entry accounting—to which we are all beholden—was created from the same intellectual ferment that produced The Calculus.

Software—accounted for as an expense since recognizing it as an asset doesn't pass muster with accountants—is far, far outside the constraints of Newtonian principles.

Johnson studied under Alfred DuPont Chandler, author of "Invisible Hand."