Re: [ontolog-forum] Grand Unified Theories

To: John F Sowa <sowa@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: "[ontolog-forum]" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: Avril Styrman <Avril.Styrman@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 05 Mar 2015 21:09:15 +0200
John and Michael,    (01)

thanks for the insightful remarks.    (02)

JS
> Yes, but it's much easier to find a Little Unifying Theory (LUT)
> than a GUT.  Most sciences, including physics, have many LUTs,
> but nobody has ever found an ideal GUT in any field.    (03)

Suntola's intention of course is that DU is the GUT of cosmology, a
kind of a step forward like the step from the Earth-centered model
into the Sun-centered model. In any case, only a GUT can unify the LUTs.    (04)

MB
> an infinite 4-dimensional space + an infinite time-dimension (past+future?)
> just to hold our closed universe for 13+ billion years?    (05)

Infinite space only in the sense that you can imagine going infinitely
many rounds around the surface of a finite ball. The volume of the 3D
space is always finite: it is thought that the familiar 3D space
resides on the surface of the 4D ball. The surface of the 4D ball
counts for the 3 dimensions, and the radius of the ball is the fourth
dimension; there is nothing inside the 4D ball and nothing outside it.
The ball is just an idealisation which happens to work very well: it
is a sufficient geometry of space and the center point of the Universe
is fixed: it is the center of the 4D idealisation. The change of time
is derived from the change of the radius of the 4D ball. This way time
is not an independent entity, as it is in FLRW.    (06)

And yes, the past must be supposed to be infinite and the future
potentially infinite, unless the only alternative is accepted: that
the Universe was born out of nothing and will vanish into nothingness
(or some combination of these). We must remember that the
out-of-the-blue idea was invented in the 20th century. Why not go for
the eternal bouncing Universe scenario instead? If the Universe is
eternal, then its every temporal stage is a cause of something and a
consequence of something; if it was born out of nothing and will
vanish into nothingness, then the first temporal state has a special
status: it was not a consequence of anything although it was a cause
of the second one. Likewise, the last state should be a cause but not
a consequence. Quite disunifying for my taste. Aristotle’s reasoning
in Of The Heavens bk.1 ch.10 is kind of ambiguous, but I interpret
that he meant something like this.    (07)

Cheers,    (08)

Avril    (09)

Quoting John F Sowa <sowa@xxxxxxxxxxx>:    (010)

Ystävällisin terveisin,    (012)