Re: [ontolog-forum] Grand Unified Theories

To: "[ontolog-forum]" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, John F Sowa <sowa@xxxxxxxxxxx>
From: Avril Styrman <Avril.Styrman@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 04 Mar 2015 16:43:02 +0200
Dear John and all,    (01)

> Physicists are the closest to finding a Grand Unified Theory (GUT)
> of everything.  But every time they find one, it opens up far more
> mysteries than it solves.    (02)

If the new theory/paradigm is really unifying, it should provide a
unifying explanation of what were previously exceptional cases. That
is, the new theory should get by without extra regularities, without
different types of hypothetical elements, and all sorts of conflicts
that are troubles for the old theory. The biggest problems of the
standard model of cosmology are the following (the standard model is
founded on GR, and was evolved into FLRW):    (03)

1. The geometry of space is an open question.
2. It contradicts absolute time (the relativity principle)
3. It requires dark energy (currently 68.3 % of the total energy,
i.e., 68.3% of the value of the density parameter).    (04)

The role of the conservation law of energy is ambiguous in the
standard model, because of the dark energy and the relativity principle.    (05)

A man called Tuomo Suntola has formulated what he calls "The Dynamic
Universe" model.    (06)

http://www.physicsfoundations.org/library/The_Dynamic_Universe_e-book.pdf    (07)

1. The geometry of space is fixed: 4 dimensional ball geometry
2. DU incorporates absolute time
3. The density parameter is not needed (and so dark energy is not
needed), for the average density is calculated by dividing the mass of
the Universe by its volume.    (08)

In short, 4D ball geometry was contemplated in the early 1900's, but
it was coupled with the idea of the static Universe. When there was
consensus about the expansion, the static 4D model was abandoned.
Suntola took the 4D model and combined it with the conservation law
and the changing velocity of light: the velocity of light decreases as
the Universe expands.  Compare the predictions of DU about the
redshift-magnity proportions to the FLRW predictions.    (09)

Now how about that?    (010)

Avril    (011)

Quoting John F Sowa <sowa@xxxxxxxxxxx>:    (012)

> Physicists are the closest to finding a Grand Unified Theory (GUT)
> of everything.  But every time they find one, it opens up far more
> mysteries than it solves.
>
> Meanwhile, the very many practical applications use old theories that
> are known to be be inadequate in the details.  Good old-fashioned
> Newtonian mechanics is a prime example.  For big things moving at
> normal speeds, GONM is the first choice.
>
> Two professors at NYU -- the psycholinguist Gary Marcus and the
> AI expert Earnest Davis -- wrote a review of attempts to find
> a GUT about intelligence, human or machine:
> http://www.newyorker.com/tech/elements/a-grand-unified-theory-of-everything
>
> Opening paragraph:
>> Here’s a way to make a lot of money. Publish a speculative scientific
>> article with equations nobody understands, put out a press release,
>> throw in a few credentials (say, a degree from Harvard or MIT), and
>> get a few bloggers to spread the word. In the meantime, quietly
>> start  a company based on the idea—the grander, the better.
>
> Marcus also wrote an article "Steamrolled by Big Data", which
> discusses a GUT by Jeff Hawkins, which is supposed to do everything:
> http://www.newyorker.com/tech/elements/steamrolled-by-big-data
>
> Quotation:
>> As one skeptical industry insider, Anthony Nyström, of the Web
>> software company Intridea, put it to me, selling Big Data is
>> a great gig for charlatans, because they never have to admit to
>> being wrong. “If their system fails to provide predictive insight,
>> it’s not their models, it’s an issue with your data.” You didn’t
>> have enough data, there was too much noise, you measured the wrong
>> things. The list of excuses can be long.
>
> I went to the web site for Hawkins' company, Numenta, where I found
> the following whitepaper about their Hierarchical Temporal Memory:
>
>http://numenta.com/assets/pdf/whitepapers/hierarchical-temporal-memory-cortical-learning-algorithm-0.2.1-en.pdf
>
> This draft is version 0.2.1 from Sept. 2011.  All the newer things
> are videos, mostly by Jeff H., who talks very fast.  I also found
> an MS thesis from 2011 by Ryan Price.
>
> If anybody can find anything newer and better, please let me know.
>
> John

Ystävällisin terveisin,    (014)

Avril Styrman
avril.styrman@xxxxxxxxxxx