Re: [ontolog-forum] Financial Industry Business Ontology (FIBO)

To: "'[ontolog-forum] '" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: "Matthew West" <dr.matthew.west@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 22 Dec 2014 23:17:31 -0000

Dear Mike,

As a matter of interest, how would you explain our business-facing views of the ontology to a business audience without using either technical terms nor academic words? I am sure my efforts can be improved upon.

[MW>] I would avoid defining or explaining terms they were not familiar with. That is I would only show and talk about terms from the lower levels of the ontology and explain what it would do for them, rather than what it means. The most you need to say about the upper levels is that it has an organizing function that brings technical benefits.

Also what would you do to make it clearer that Section 6 is not the introduction? This material was originally in an annex, clearly marked as being for a business audience and explaining the jargon-free business views that we provide. Someone at the OMG suggested that this was a more accessible introduction than the more technically correct material in the introduction so we moved it, but I see that the material setting out the intended audience for each section has not been noticed.

[MW>] If you’re going to have a business introduction/Executive Summary as I’ve suggested above, then you are going to need a technical introduction, but I gather you do have that, so as you say, the key is to set out the target audience. In Shell documents, the target audience was an explicit section heading.

Regards

Matthew West

Information  Junction

Mobile: +44 750 3385279

Skype: dr.matthew.west

matthew.west@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

http://www.informationjunction.co.uk/

https://www.matthew-west.org.uk/

This email originates from Information Junction Ltd. Registered in England and Wales No. 6632177.

Registered office: 8 Ennismore Close, Letchworth Garden City, Hertfordshire, SG6 2SU.

Mike