Re: [ontolog-forum] Financial Industry Business Ontology (FIBO)

To: ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
From: Kingsley Idehen <kidehen@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 16 Dec 2014 12:35:08 -0500
On 12/16/14 11:40 AM, John F Sowa wrote:
KI
> In my experience "Entity" is better than "Thing" especially, when
> discussing matters with a technical audience... an ontology should
> be constructed for an audience that can understand  its technical
> underpinnings.  Alternative approaches always lead to  problems.
I agree.  It's essential to distinguish the foundation from the
tutorials -- and *especially* from the advertising and PR hype.

One way to do that is to have short, succinct definitions with
formal symbols like ⊤ (&#x22a4;) and ⊥ (&#x22a5;).  The formalism
should use an absolute *minimum* of NL words of any kind.

But we also need humanly readable terminology and diagrams. I like
the use of UML in FIBO.  But the standard should emphasize that the
formal spec's take precedence over informal terminology or diagrams.
It's important to emphasize the difference.

Yep!  Sadly, this is the root of many problems, especially in the Web era. We have informal and formal terminology getting mangled,  for a variety of reasons:

1. engagement with broad audiences
2. marketing in general
3. inevitable politics.

"Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not simpler." -- Albert Einstein [1].

[1] http://quoteinvestigator.com/2011/05/13/einstein-simple/ .

--
Regards,

Kingsley Idehen