Re: [ontolog-forum] Apology [was AI Journal is now available for free do

To: "[ontolog-forum]" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: David Eddy <deddy@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 4 Nov 2014 12:41:50 -0500
John -

On Nov 04, 2014, at 12:25 PM, John F Sowa <sowa@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

What makes Cyc important is that its goal was to support ordinary
language.  It would eventually eliminate those brain farts.
For example, Cyc (or something similar) might make Siri more
intelligent.  See my response about Siri in the thread "Apology".

"The Cyc project, started by Doug Lenat at MCC..."

"Cyc project"?  What's that?

"Doug Lenant"  who's that?

"MCC"  what does that acronym mean?

Absolutely no argument that Cyc's goal of supporting ordinary language is a worthy, laudable & valuable goal.

And I would continue to argue there is a HUGE amount of language that is far from "ordinary" & far, far removed from any sort of formal dictionaries.  I counter George Miller's average of 10 meanings per ordinary term with my totally unscientific (but real) 34 meanings per term.

Example: I see "cyc" in context of this discussion & I have to mentally fumble for the meaning since cyc is already burned into my brain for another meaning for 60 years.

I remember when I learned that "kicks" really meant CICS.

There are obviously lots of people looking at ordinary language... but what about jargon, slang, acronyms, salacious, industry specific, work group specific, etc., etc., etc?

- David