Re: [ontolog-forum] [Corpora-List] CFP: Special Research Topic on "Model

To: "[ontolog-forum]" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: John Bottoms <john@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 04 Nov 2014 12:29:24 -0500
Rich,    (01)

You're not going to find a "specific" set of words that autistic
children use. First, autism is a spectrum of symptoms, not causes, that
range from high-performing to those incapable of any communications.
Also, there is the issue that humans have a connectionist architecture
that is non-deterministic. The autistic child that spend a lot of time
with doctors and clinicians will have a different vocabulary than those
who do not.    (02)

If you really would like to pursue this avenue of exploration, I suggest
Carol Chomsky's work on child language acquisition in which she examines
how more complex concepts are displayed during play. ("The Acquisition
of Syntax in Children from 5 to 10", Chomsky MIT Press, No. 57, Pgs. 125.)    (03)

There are a number of similar works but her's is quite readable.There
are also vocabulary lists for children such as "Baby 25".

>http://www.nydailynews.com/life-style/2-year-old-25-words-researchers-article-1.1025968
Finally, there is research such as this, that looks at some of the
abstract concepts of children.
> http://news.stanford.edu/news/2013/september/toddler-language-gap-091213.html    (04)

-John Bottoms
  FirstStar Systems