Re: [ontolog-forum] [Corpora-List] CFP: Special Research Topic on "Model

To: "'[ontolog-forum] '" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: "Rich Cooper" <rich@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 4 Nov 2014 11:23:03 -0800

John B,

You wrote:

You're not going to find a "specific" set of words that autistic

children use. First, autism is a spectrum of symptoms, not causes, that

range from high-performing to those incapable of any communications.

I agree, but what I meant (whatever I actually said) was that knowing a specific person’s vocabulary as commonly used in their writing or speaking would yield a specific vocabulary for that specific person.

Since there are low performing and high performing autistics, they should each have different vocabularies, which could help explain why certain deficits or empathies cause certain deviations in language usage from the average of the same population class.

To give another example, the commonly used Myers-Briggs personality explanation divides the population of normals into 16 types, with 4 major subtypes.  I know from experience at Hughes, where lots of us studied this personality text, it was commonly easy for most people to identify others with the same characteristic personality responses.  However, there are those who empathize so deeply with others, either positively or negatively, that they see commonalities with every personality type, some of which they judge bad or good depending on the observer’s empathies.

It’s the approach of using vocabularies for specific persons that I think will pay off in this investigation.  Whether it fits with autistics or not, the only evidence I have for that is the paper I quoted.

-Rich

Sincerely,

Rich Cooper

EnglishLogicKernel.com