Re: [ontolog-forum] Looking to the Future of Data Science - NYTimes.com

To: "[ontolog-forum] " <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "edward.barkmeyer@xxxxxxxx" <edward.barkmeyer@xxxxxxxx>
From: Sjir Nijssen <Sjir.Nijssen@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 30 Aug 2014 08:49:52 +0000
Ed,    (01)

I agree with your email below.
You wisely used the word perhaps.
I believe that the email may need a few additions and then the perhaps can go.     (02)

The data science field did, in my opinion, not start with Ted Codd in 1970, but
was started 7 years earlier by Charles Bachman in 1963.    (03)

It was Charles Bachman with IDS (Integrated Data Store) that made it in 1963
for the first time realistic to have real time software support for business
transactions.
This was a fundamental step forward.
IDS was later also the basis for the Codasyl DDL and DML. Charles made it
possible to navigate through a network of encoded facts, called records and
(Codasyl) sets.    (04)

Ted Codd added to this new dimension a useful interrogation capability, based
on FOL.    (05)

I also want to add that Michael Senko (see his DIAM publications) contributed
substantially to the fundamentals of data science in the early seventies as
well as Bill Kent, with his book Data and Reality.    (06)

Michael en Bill were members of IFIP 2.6 at that time.    (07)

Sjir Nijssen    (08)

Chief Technical Officer
PNA Group    (09)

Tel:     +31 (0)88-777 0 444