Re: [ontolog-forum] Looking to the Future of Data Science - NYTimes.com

To: "[ontolog-forum]" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: Steven Ericsson-Zenith <steven@xxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 29 Aug 2014 18:36:21 -0700

On Fri, Aug 29, 2014 at 10:23 AM, John F Sowa <sowa@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

NY Times
> The Association for Computing Machinery, a leading professional
> association in computer science, is this week holding its annual
> conference focused on what we're now calling data science - though
> the ACM still clings to the label adopted when the yearly gatherings
> began in 1998, Knowledge Discovery and Data Mining.

JFS
> That's the fundamental principle for creating the illusion of progress:
> Change the name of the field every decade.

EJB
> I don't think that is fair.  Anyone I know or knew in the field has long
> thought that "data science" is the term for the computer science associated
> with information management.

If everyone knew that, why did they need another name?  For that matter,
note that the NYT reporter thought that 'data science' was a new name.

Just as "computer science" is really "computer engineering," I suspect that data science is no kind of science but is really data engineering.

Steven