Re: [ontolog-forum] Looking to the Future of Data Science - NYTimes.com

To: "[ontolog-forum] " <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: David Eddy <deddy@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 31 Aug 2014 15:29:33 -0400
Dale -

On Aug 31, 2014, at 12:51 PM, Fitch, Dale K. wrote:

Is it at all helpful to more precisely identify what is contributing to the bigness in big data?

One comment on how things change over time.

In 1980 when it was expected a company would run on a single masterfile, I worked at an insurance company where said masterfile had something like 1,600 to 1,700 data elements in the definition of the masterfile.

Recently I acquired an SQL Server data structure... 1,300 tables & an extrapolated 17,000 columns/data elements.

I detect something of a trend line there.

David Eddy
Babson Park, MA

deddy@xxxxxxxxxxxxx