Re: [ontolog-forum] FW: Looking to the Future of Data Science - NYTimes.

To: ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
From: Kingsley Idehen <kidehen@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 31 Aug 2014 15:19:37 -0400
On 8/31/14 12:51 PM, Fitch, Dale K. wrote:
> Is it at all helpful to more precisely identify what is contributing to the
>bigness in big data? In my understanding there are three components:
> 1. Instances of attributes - what most often gets mentioned with references
>to millions of rows of data
> 2. The number of attributes - some times these millions of rows of data
>pertain to only a few dozen columns
> 3. The 'thing' these attributes are describing - it seems to me this 'thing'
>is addressed less often
>
> If we are to learn from the past:
> 1. Computing power will continue to increase making the number of instances a
>trivial matter
> 2. Our ability to model the increasing number of attributes will continue to
>evolve as the statistical and computer sciences pursue mutually beneficial
>goals through new algorithms
> 3. Which brings me back to the 'thing,' which I believe lies under the
>purview of logicians and our ability to understand the world
>
> Dale    (01)

+1    (02)

## Nanotation Start ##
<#thisPost>
foaf:topic
<http://www.openlinksw.com/data/turtle/general/GlossaryOfTerms.ttl#BigData>,     (03)

<http://dbpedia.org/resource/Big_data> ;
rdfs:seeAlso
<http://www.slideshare.net/kidehen/openlink-virtuoso-management-des/10> ;
rdfs:comment """    (04)

Is it at all helpful to more precisely identify what is contributing to the
bigness in big data? In my understanding there are three components:
1. Instances of attributes - what most often gets mentioned with references to
millions of rows of data
2. The number of attributes - some times these millions of rows of data pertain
to only a few dozen columns
3. The 'thing' these attributes are describing - it seems to me this 'thing' is
addressed less often    (05)

If we are to learn from the past:
1. Computing power will continue to increase making the number of instances a
trivial matter
2. Our ability to model the increasing number of attributes will continue to
evolve as the statistical and computer sciences pursue mutually beneficial
goals through new algorithms
3. Which brings me back to the 'thing,' which I believe lies under the purview
of logicians and our ability to understand the world -- Dale K. Fitch.
""" .    (06)

<http://www.slideshare.net/kidehen/openlink-virtuoso-management-des/10>
a schema:WebPage, a foaf:Document;
foaf:topic