Re: [ontolog-forum] FW: Looking to the Future of Data Science - NYTimes.

To: "[ontolog-forum] " <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: Michael Brunnbauer <brunni@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 31 Aug 2014 15:24:55 +0200

hi all,    (01)

Big Data is the belief that    (02)

1) Purpose is irrelevant for the collection and retention of data because it
   will materialize in the future.    (03)

2) Original context and purpose is irrelevant for the processing of data
   because "It's just facts and if they are accessible, we can do anything
   we like with them".    (04)

2) If you put two pieces of data together, the worth of the resulting piece
   of data is determined by multiplying the worth of the original pieces
   instead of adding them.    (05)

As the name suggests, followers of Big Data collect data wherever possible,
retain it as long as possible and will put any amount of money into data
integration efforts. They like to think of it as oil and of themselves as
oil millionaires. Thoughts about refinement (will every car run with the same
kind of fuel?) are put off until later. This is similar to popular beliefs in
the publishing industry ("I have trillion pieces of digital content and if I
put a price tag on every one of them, I will be rich, rich rich!").    (06)

In the context of personally identifiable information, Big Data is sometimes
called "Soylent Green" [1]. It can be seen as the opposite of the basic
principle of German privacy law and the essence of what the NSA is doing in
Bluffdale.    (07)

See also: https://twitter.com/wtrsld/status/424272437929205760
See also: Semantic Web    (08)

[1] http://www.danah.org/papers/talks/2010/WWW2010.html    (010)