Re: [ontolog-forum] Patent application for using a formal ontology in NL

To: "'[ontolog-forum] '" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: Cameron Ross <cross@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: "Rich Cooper" <rich@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 5 Jul 2014 14:02:54 -0700

Dear John,

Your original post is interleaved below with my responses.

You are thinking about patents in a moral way, rather than a legal way.  Law doesn’t do morality, and neither do politics or business.

The overriding concern behind patent law is that business entrepreneurs are planning to put money and people to work on a specific implementation of a specific set of circumstances.  If you want more new businesses, and better patent decisions, you should be for improving the life of patent examiners in a way that makes their job easier to do “correctly”.

It would seem to me that an empirically developed set of concepts, perhaps with enough knowledge mining automation, could produce an ontology of all known patents relevant above some threshold, to the candidate patent.

The right tool is shown below in one of its many aspects.

More information is at:

www.EnglishLogicKernel.com/Help/help.htm

The knowledge could in truth be developed by the USPTO based on existing patents, in layers of ontologies.  The tool Patent Examiners Workbench was developed to allow any user to create an ontology, or at least a concept map, of the specific patents they examine every day.

That ontology, organizing the details about how the patent’s implementation, will be constructed automatically given the patent number and the claim vocabulary will help the examiner focus on the few best candidates.  That will help the examiner finish each office action, or termination, or issuance with more depth of focus into the patent.

One of the many things that have been shown correct is that each examiner, each judge, each attorney, each client, and each expert witness work in a team, by court rules of debate, to discover the important issues for each litigation.  That is why one ontology is not a realistic expectation in the PTO processes.

-Rich

Sincerely,

Rich Cooper

EnglishLogicKernel.com