Re: [ontolog-forum] Visual Notation for OWL Ontologies (VOWL)

To: ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
From: Kingsley Idehen <kidehen@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 13 May 2014 17:11:42 -0400
On 5/13/14 3:54 PM, John F Sowa wrote:
> Doug, Aldo, Kingsley, and Ed,
>
> DF
>> both [the Cyc and OWL] expressions say that EVERY squid has exactly 10
>> tentacles; they don't say that any squid exists.
> Sorry.  I hastily wrote "there is" in my English sentence.  We all make
> such slips, as Aldo also did:  "Please read 'max 4' not 'min 4' "
>
> Following are the correct translations for Simon's example:
>
> English:  Every squid has as part exactly 10 tentacles.
> CG:       [Squid: @every]->(HasPart)->[Tentacle: {*}@10].
>
> AG
>> In OWL (serialised in Turtle):
>>
>> :Mary a [:hasChild max 4] ; :hasChild :Sue , :Bill , _:x .
>> :Sue a :Girl .  :Bill :hasTwin _:x .
>>
>> More readable than CG in my view ...
> Very nice.  This is better than I had expected.  For comparison, I
> rearranged your 4 lines to 2 lines (and replaced 'min' with 'max').
>
> English:  Mary has less than 5 children, including a girl named Sue,
>             and a pair of twins, one of whom is named Bill."
>
> CG:       [Person: Mary]->(HasChild)->[Person: {Sue, Bill, *x, *}@<5]
>             [Girl: Sue]  [Person: Bill]->(HasTwin)->[Person: ?x]
>
> AG
>> The problem is not DL OWL or others, but being iconic enough to support
>> intuition. Usually NL works fine but in this case OWL/Turtle is more
>intuitive
> I agree that the English sentence is less systematic than either the CG
> or the OWL/Turtle translation.  But the readability of any formalism
> depends heavily on prior experience in using it.    (01)

Yes, and this is nice demonstration of what Turtle (as opposed to the
ghastly RDF/XML) notation brings to the table, in regards to RDF's
virtues as a language for digital rendition of natural language sentences.    (02)

> KI
>> Yes, but how does one lift your example into a HTTP network medium
>> where documents create a hypermedia mesh of Linked Documents comprised
>> of content that delivers Linked Data?
> The primary design goal for CGs is to serve as an intermediate language
> between NLs and formal notations.  A major use for VivoMind software is
> to analyze documents with *no links* and *discover* the relevant links.    (03)

And I would encourage you to make this available as a Web Service. And
by that I am not saying it has to be a $0.00 affair. Doing that will be
beneficial to all.    (04)

> For examples, see http://www.jfsowa.com/talks/goal7.pdf .  None of the
> documents analyzed for those applications had any annotations.  We're
> happy to use linked data, but our software can also create the links.    (05)

I am very confident that your software can create linked data with ease.
Linked Data is simply about the digital terms rendition aspect of this
digital statement from NL sentences endeavor.    (06)

I would really like to look at Linked Data generated from your system.
I've read (and studied in detail) a lot of more material written by you
over the years, so I have a strong sense of what I am urging to you
expose to the public, via World Wide Web :-)    (07)

Regards,    (09)

Kingsley Idehen
Founder & CEO
OpenLink Software