Re: [ontolog-forum] Visual Notation for OWL Ontologies (VOWL)

To: ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
From: Kingsley Idehen <kidehen@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 15 May 2014 12:07:28 -0400
On 5/14/14 5:37 PM, John F Sowa wrote:
EJB
> Why would you bother to 'control' the language...
I would *never* attempt to force typical users to learn a CNL.
What I am recommending is the use of CNLs as *output* from the
computer to the humans.  For *input*, strategy #3 implies

  1. Design the system to interpret whatever people say or write,
     translate it to some version of logic, and generate a CNL echo.

  2. Carry on a dialog with the humans until they agree that the echo
     (which may be anything from a phrase to a paragraph) expresses
     what they were trying to say.

This is basically the way people communicate.  It's very rare for
people to understand what other people are saying without a dialog.
Just look at any thread on Ontolog Forum.

John

Could one consider an RDF triple as a digital CNL that's actually human comprehensible?

## Turtle Snippet ##

<#this>
a <#MalingListPost> ;
rdfs:label "Visual Notation for OWL Ontologies (VOWL)" ;
rdfs:comment """Turtle snippet used to address the question: Is an RDF triple not a digital
                         rendition of a CNL (Controlled Natural Language) that's comprehensible to humans and machines alike?  """ ;
foaf:page <> ;
<#mentions> <#CNL> .

<#CNL>
rdfs:label "Controlled Natural Language (CNL)" ;
skos:prefLabel "CNL" ;
<#hashtag> "#CNL" ;
is foaf:topic of <#this> .

## End ##

I'll share a link to the rendered version of the above that should take the form of an RDF statement graph represented in a variety of ways , using HTML as the default.
--

Regards,

Kingsley Idehen
Founder & CEO