Re: [ontolog-forum] Visual Notation for OWL Ontologies (VOWL)

To: ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
From: Kingsley Idehen <kidehen@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 13 May 2014 17:30:07 -0400
On 5/13/14 1:42 PM, Kingsley Idehen wrote:
On 5/13/14 1:47 AM, John F Sowa wrote:
In my 1984 book, I specified conceptual graphs as an extension of EGs
with syntactic sugar for such things.  That syntax is *not* in the CL
standard, because CL does not include all that ontology.

Let's assume that we would like to express the above Cyc or OWL
in English as "There is a squid that has exactly 10 tentacles."
In the CG notation of the 1980s, that would be represented as

    [Squid]->(HasPart)->[Tentacle: {*}@10].

In English, this can be read "There is a squid that has as parts
exactly 10 tentacles."  The notation {*}@10 is defined by an expansion
to a node of type Set, every element of which is of type Tentacle.
The node [Squid] is linked by HasPart to each node of type Tentacle.
But you would not normally do that expansion, except as a step
during some reasoning process.

Yes, but how does one lift your example into a HTTP network medium where documents create a hypermedia mesh of Linked Documents comprised of content that delivers Linked Data?
 [Squid]->(HasPart)->[Tentacle: {*}@10].

How does one comprehend and click through (as part of the comprehension endeavor using a medium such as the Web) the information encoded by the statement above? This is the the challenge we have today.

Taking the RDF based Linked Data route, I can place RDF statements in a document, denote entities in my relations using Linked Data principles, and use OWL to enrich the description of the nature of the things and relations in my statement/sentences/utterances [1].

Links:

[1] http://kingsley.idehen.net/describe/?url=""> -- About a Squid with owl:sames Inference enabled

[2]
http://kingsley.idehen.net/describe/?url="">  -- About a Squid .
I forgot to add the Turtle used in the examples above, into this post. If you are wondering why? It's because I can generate Linked Data from the content of posts, which makes any post a launched pad for Linked Data's follow-your-nose discovery pattern.

@prefix foaf:
<http://xmlns.com/foaf/0.1/> .
@prefix owl: <http://www.w3.org/2002/07/owl#> .
@prefix rdfs: <http://www.w3.org/2000/01/rdf-schema#> .
@prefix dcterms: <http://purl.org/dc/terms/> .

## TBox -- Nature of Squid

<#Squid>
rdfs:label "Squid";
a owl:Class;
is rdfs:domain of <#hasSquidBodyPart> .

<#Tentacle>
rdfs:label "Tentacle";
a owl:Class;
is rdfs:range of <#hasSquidBodyPart> ;
is rdfs:domain of <#hasTentacleCount> .

## RBox -- Nature of Squid Relations

<#hasSquidBodyPart>
rdfs:label "hasSquidBodyPart";
a owl:ObjectProperty;
rdfs:domain <#Squid> ;
rdfs:range <#Tentacle> .

<#hasTentacleCount>
rdfs:label "hasTentacleCount";
rdfs:comment """Tentacle Count which by way of the restrictions on this on this property is 10""" ;
a owl:DataTypeProperty ;
owl:maxCardinality "10"^^xsd:integer ;
rdfs:domain <#Tentacle> .

## Abox
## Document about a Squid

<>
a foaf:Document;
rdfs:label "About A Squid" ;
rdfs:comment """Description of a Squid in resposne to an Ontolog Forum discussion""" ;
foaf:primaryTopic <#thisSquid> ;
foaf:topic <#hasSquidBodyPart>, <#Squid>,
              <#Tentacle>, <#hasTentacleCount> ;
dcterms:references <http://ontolog.cim3.net/forum/ontolog-forum/2014-05/msg00065.html#this> .

## About this particular Squid i.e., the one referred to literally as 'Subject 101' and explicitly denoted by the relative HTTP URI <#thisSquid> .

<#thisSquid>
foaf:name "Subject 101" ;
a <#Squid> ;
<#hasSquidBodyPart> [ a <#Tentacle> ;