Re: [ontolog-forum] Visual Notation for OWL Ontologies (VOWL)

To: "[ontolog-forum] " <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: "Barkmeyer, Edward J" <edward.barkmeyer@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 13 May 2014 23:44:04 +0000

FWIW, the NIST RECON tool accepts:

For every Squid: s, there are exactly 10 Tentacles: t, such that s has-part t.

assuming you defined ‘has-part’.  A tool like Rabbit uses ‘has as part’.  Define the terms you like.

(the syntactic differences are (1) RECON accepts there is/are but not ‘there exists’, and (2) it uses the colon to say that you are assigning a variable name to these instances of Tentacle.  Otherwise, t should be a term.  The following formulation, which is also accepted.

For every Squid:s, there are exactly 10 Tentacles: t, such that t is a part of s.

‘is a part of’ is also a fine verb.

One can also write:

For every Squid, there are exactly 10 Tentacles: t, such that t is a part of the Squid.

(which uses a back reference (anaphor) instead of a variable, a trick I learned from Attempto)

I am sure that there are a dozen controlled natural language parsers out there that can do something very, very similar.

The big question is what formal language you want generated from these human-friendly languages.

-Ed